2.7 Million Pet Owners Are Told Their Pets Are Overweight In The Last Year
Our latest research reveals pet obesity is on the rise across the UK. In the last 12 months alone, 2.7 million pet owners have been told their dogs (1.7 million) or cats (1 million) are overweight.
This is one in eight (12 per cent) dog owners, a rise on the eight per cent who were told their dogs were overweight over the two years previously, highlighting it is a growing issue.
Did you know:
- 83% of vets reported an increase in the number of overweight pets being brought to see them.
- Both vets and pet owners have also reported injuries as a result of handling these pets – 54% of vets are concerned about injuring themselves in this way, and 1.2 million dog owners have reported muscle strains, broken bones, and even spinal injuries due to handling overweight pets.
- Further statistics show that 1 in 8 dog owners have been informed their pet is overweight, and (according to vets) 50% of owners believe that vets are being overly cautious about obesity. Vets say that 30% of owners don’t regard obesity as a problem in animals at all.
- Percentages of owners with overweight dogs organised by breed. Pugs top the list – with 75% of them being overweight. Border collies are at the bottom of the table – only 23% of owners have an overweight pet.
Pug owners are most likely to be told they have an overweight pet, with 75 per cent informed that their pet is too heavy by a vet in the last three years. This was closely followed by Boxer owners, of which nearly 67 per cent have been told their dog is overweight and Golden Retrievers (45 per cent)
Source kindly provided by:
Kelly Media | Freelance Media & Advertising Direct Line Pet Insurance 2019
The Dog Man’s Choice Super Premium light recipe has added L-Carnitine
£27.00 – £40.99
FAST FREE delivery within two working days on all dog food orders within the UK
A super premium food suitable for an older dog or as part of a weight loss programme
A nutritionally-balanced choice that meets the needs of a senior and/or overweight dog. This hypoallergenic super premium food not only provides all the vitamins and minerals your pet needs for joint repair but also has the correct ratio of protein to fat to ensure a low calorie content.
- No artificial colours or preservatives
- Totally natural ingredients
- Hypoallergenic – so ideal for dogs with sensitivities to wheat or wheat gluten
- Omega 3 and 6, zinc and biotin for a healthy skin and coat
- Vitamins and minerals to promote joint repair and mobility (ideal for the senior dog)
- Balanced protein to fat ratio – which acts to prevent weight gain
- A complete dog food
Bag Sizes: 6kgs / 12kg